PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 20:12
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha ha, AA62,

I reckon if it's cool you want a 16 hour Prop change at Gander, with a high of -21 must get close. I well remember doing it, and the brilliant support the movements staff gave us, hit soup, a 15 minute on/off cycle, and all the clearances for high power ground runs post prop change. We had a problem, it was so cold that we couldn't stop the new seals freezing as we proceeded. RAF "Enginuity" came to the fore. We built a polythene tent around the engine nacelle/prop and used two 4therm heaters to keep a reasonable -9 degrees throughout the work. The subsequent ground run on their lazy runway was fun !!! Thankfully the Captain occupied the LH seat as we hit 18K and started noting temps, torques etc, he was the only one who noted that we moved about 50 yards, pushing the chocks (they never worked well on ice). Now, the funny part of the story is that we were for once lucky. We were a 5A call out crew, and were ferrying a prop change team, and it's prop, to Bermuda. As we had all the expertise on board, and Gander had a spare prop, everything fell in to place. Once again, ASCOT airways got a result, a few hours delay but I believe the U/S crew returned to LYE only 24 hours or so late.

Smudge