PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 16:04
spangzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
de-lurking...

Lets have a report - lets learn what happened and put steps into place (if needed) to try and minimise the chance of it happening again (note - minimise - not prevent - nothing is 100% preventable) but lets not vilify the airshow community for something that, whilst horrific and has a lasting effect on those involved, is still a vanishingly small risk to those involved
How would the air show community react to (for example) a change in the minimum height requirements for specific maneuvers though?

I've been fortunate enough to watch almost four decades of Jersey International Air Displays, and it's been interesting (if that's the right word) to see how accidents (particularly Ramstein) have changed it over that time.

Because of the location of the airport here relative to the display area and because most of the island has been built on, there's always going to be a risk of an out-of-control aircraft killing people when it hits the ground; I've got photographs of vintage jets behind me (parallel to the the sea wall where most of the spectator are) before they cross in to the display area, and the Red Arrows often fly directly over my house.

But those aircraft are usually flying straight and level and not starting or finishing any maneuvers, and the reaction of most of aviation enthusiast friends (who don't want air shows banned) to this tragedy is variations on "why was a display aircraft pulling up from a loop near a road?" (instead of merely flying over it) in a "did anyone fully consider what might happen if someone attempts a loop over there and something goes wrong?" sense.

The but-but-but-more-people-have-been-killed-by-something-else-etc. (the JIAD hasn't killed anyone) arguments seem to have been directed at people who think air shows should be banned, but my concern is that some people in the air show community will react to calls for any new restrictions (which will come; accidents often expose deficiencies in established procedures, and they will need to be addressed) with an argument that isn't relevant. It's happening here a bit (but not from the person I quoted).

Closing roads isn't that extreme. For the JIAD, the dual carriageway (most busy road on the island) next to the beach is closed and the entire beach (a huge area when the tide is out) if off-limits

Last edited by spangzilla; 24th Aug 2015 at 19:25.