PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaperon washes up on Reunion Island
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 15:19
AirLandSeaMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gysbreght:

You have taken my comment completely out of context. Yes, it is true that 447 and 8501 both demonstrate that a high descent rate is possible with a low forward airspeed. In those cases, a pilot was causing the planes to stall. But I was clearly referring to the case we observed in the simulator, where the speed was observed to exceed the instrument limit (500kts indicated), and no human was in control. Both the vertical speed (descent rate) and the forward airspeed observed in the simulator were consistent with the Inmarsat BFO observations, and that is factual, notwithstanding Inmarsat's reluctance to accept the final two BFO values (even though they do accept the other 500+ values used in the analysis). The only reason Inmarsat was initially reluctant to accept those values was that, at the time, they did not fully understand the implications of the uncompensated vertical speed on the AES Doppler compensation. Victor I pointed this out very early (June 2014 I believe), and ATSB later came to be somewhat more inclined to believe these numbers.