PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Fleet Order Speculation
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 00:09
ANCDU

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I think those thinking there will be massive promotions and recruitment in the short term at QANTAS might be a bit disappointed. There are a huge amount of RIN'd pilots to get their rank back, LWOP and MOU pilots to come back, and if the squirrel caging on rosters gets approved a lot of people will change fleet/ rank. Last I heard retirements were approx 150 over 5 years. Sure recruiting in the future but a measured approach.

Remember this is a business case for 8 aircraft only,sure there will eventually probably be more but they are " group" options...all it takes is another GFC or SAR's and the pendulum will swing back towards the low cost option. Remember Jetstar isn't there to necessarily make massive profits, but protect Qantas from a low cost onslaught from Asia, and cater for a different demographic in Australia that grows as interest rates rise!

This is great news for Qantas, and I finally see a dim light at the end of a tunnel, but I am sitting on my hands for the moment, we all know what usually happens when they start talking promotions and recruiting......a downturn is just around the corner.