PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dakota G-AJHZ at Luton
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 16:11
tommacfadyen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dakota G-AJHZ at Luton

Hi all,

I am trying to resolve the fate of a former Luton resident, G-AJHZ the former British Westpoint Dakota. The following is what information I have on it at Luton and after it departed Luton.

In August 1966 it was stored at Luton wearing RAF roundels after being used in a film.
In Feb 1967 it was painted as XY-BUR for a film at Luton. [Any ideas which film?]
The CofA expired on 3 April 1967.

I have had one reply from a Luton spotter who has given some detailed sightings at Luton which alters all my ideas on when G-AJHZ departed the UK. He wrote " G-AJHZ was at Luton in June 1967, parked at the back of the McAlpine Aviation hangar (roughly where security gate 5 now is). It was still in British Westpoint colours with the titles painted out as I remember. It remained there until March 1968. On 17th March 1968 it had been moved, I think to the area now in front of the minitower, and was doing engine runs. My next airport visit wasn't until 7th April when I believe it was no longer there. Hope this helps."

It was next reported that it was in poor condition at Lisbon in early June 1968.

The next report comes from a letter in Propliner Magazine number 104 from Norbert Oertel who recorded G-AJHZ at Gando Airport, Las Palmas in 1969. He also produced a photograph of this Dakota which seems to have been stripped of paint, all control surfaces, fin tip and tailcone. The registration G-AJHZ is just visible on the upper surface of the starboard wing. He states that it disappeared by 1972

Problems –
Registration was cancelled 14 September 1966 as abroad - when did it actually leave the UK, who owned it and what was its destination?

Luton ATC logbooks has anyone got access to them for the period February 1968 and May 1968 and will be willing to check out this period for me for any test flights and a delivery flight?

Has anyone else got any record of this airframe and / or a photograph of it at Gando?

Does anyone know how to contact Norbert Oertel?

Tom Macfadyen