PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Part 91 - I despair - there is no mention of reducing costs
Old 21st Aug 2015, 21:46
Aussie Bob

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
I studied for a pilot license, not a law degree. While CASA scream safety, new regs do not alter my stick and rudder abilities. I am no more, or less, safe today than I was yesterday.
Good point 50 50 and ignoring the rule books and going flying is a current pastime. The big problem is that passing a chief pilot interview is suddenly a huge hurdle, getting an ops manual written for a new AOC a virtual impossibility and the pool of pilots with the interest, qualifications and sheer determination to meet CP requirements is fast dwindling. Getting a startup engineering business underway now costs more than the business would be worth and all of this for what?

The new rules are obviously to shrink the industry. Has anyone got any data on new AOC issues? Anyone know of any new engineering businesses getting approved? It would be interesting to compare these two items with info from say a decade ago. Anyone fancy getting another mortgage to fund a new flying school? You would be brave or stupid or both.

Sadly where I live even trying for a flight review is a high cost, big travel ordeal that is off putting to the average PPL. Sure, if you own your own uninsured aeroplane it is a rule that could be ignored for a time but at what risk?