PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea strike?
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2015, 22:19
Democritus

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
.............Of course the Company will want high earners at the top to go to maximise the recuperation of revenue and they normally offer a voluntary package to attract some of those people.
In 1999 my NS employer said they were going to make 40 pilots over the age of 55 redundant and called for volunteers. There was a sweetener package for those who volunteered. The snag was that if you didn't volunteer and were 'selected' then you only got statutory redundancy.

I was one of those who 'volunteered' as I recognised that I would probably be selected anyway - the second time in my flying career that I had been made redundant - and, having been cautious and not bought the fancy house and car, was relieved to be able quit the industry after 38 years, 24 of them on the NS, and I've never looked back. 16 years on and I hope that management changes might mean that the 60 pilots at risk there today might fare better than being given similar callous options to those we received - sadly I somehow doubt it. I really feel for the guys at risk and it's a hard lesson that loyalty in employment is rarely a two way thing.