PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 20th Aug 2015, 19:24
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh chaps,

Just like your average "Falc" I too once believed that having completed my GEs course, that I alone was all that the Albert fleet ever needed. Obviously, I was not available for every route flown by Lyneham, and therefore could not be held responsible for a few "cock ups" made here or there (particularly the ones in my immediate proximity)! Bottom line boys, I liked the Falcons, one of whom offered to lend me his comb, despite my being balder than a plucked ducks bottom, I liked them because, like the Red Arrows, the public identified them as the epitome of the RAF, and, when I stood behind the Captain for the fly by, if I managed to beat the Loadie, I was chuffed to think I had helped engender the public belief. Just like all of the RAF trades (I offer M**k L***y as the GE example) "Prima donnas" often came to notice. The Falcons had them, as I'm sure we all know.

Dougie, I remember my one and only El Centro Det, when myself and the other GE attempted to take the Michael out of the Blue Angels formation see off team. With Halton precision marching, the wielding of the marshalling baton and the respectfull salute to our comrades who were about to fly the staggeringly beautiful Albert to Holtville strip, we found ourselves surrounded by blue suited Blue Angels ground crew as we put the ground equipment to bed in preparation for our drive to Holtville strip, collecting the days rations on the way. A sense of humour would have come as a bonus, but unfortunately the U.S. Navy/ Marines had ensured these chaps were bereft, and so, we were made aware of our status as guests, visitors, and informed how we should respect our hosts. Well, we took that to heart and ignored it as usual. Losing one of their Huffers at Holtville added insult to injury I suppose. Crikey, I think I've typed too much already. Keep posting all, the thread is looking more like a source of reference for Albert Boys every day.

Ksimboy, I once got in a lot of bother trying to join in the "dirt dance" with Herefords finest "Air troop", no violence was offered, but I never, ever considered it afterwards.

Smudge