PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging IFR/Instrument Hours
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2015, 10:16
AvEnthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logging IFR/Instrument Hours

I know this might have been asked before and probably several times, and I run a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for, therefore, please excuse the repetition.

Well in commercial air transport you are almost always under an IFR flight plan and you would usually refer to your instruments mostly in take offs and landings even if you are in VMC, however based on FAA definition of Actual Instrument Flight time, you would hardly get to log and would be burdensome arranging to log instrument flight time, night time, ... etc.

Thus, my question is how do you log Instrument time?

Some people log portion of their take off and landing into instrument time, while some take 10% to 15% of the total flight time into instrument time. While EASA pilots log IFR and they don't care about actual instrument time. This breaking down of flight time into different segments and time-frames is a burden and to some extent seem ridicule.
So what's the best method for logging instrument time (if we proceed with EASA IFR only, then how can you answer how many hours of instrument you have, if asked by FAA oriented people)?