PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2015, 01:54
Danny42C

Chugalug (your #7319),

We seem to have settled one problem (the identity of the Narellan Vengeance), only to embroil ourselves in another.

First, who writes "Pilot's Notes" (I mean what organisation ?) Boscombe Down ? or who ? Whoever, they * produced this hand-made A.P 2024 for the benefit of the small number of pilots who flew the only A-35s which came to the UK and Australia (for conversion into Target Tugs). Now in all the PNs I've ever seen, they have fully docketed photographs (usually in Page 2 or 3) of the cockpit from all angles.

* Note: "Gage" - the US spelling of the word.

In the UK, they had the A-35s in front of them (also in US). Had nobody got a camera ? Doesn't Consolidated Vultee have a photo ? Appears so, as the A.P. 2024 authors have had to fall back on our old Narellan friend, the panel of which is in the Camden Museum exhibit. And the Museum states the carcase (despite all appearances to the contrary) to be an A-31, and we've all now accepted that because of the full provenance, Slow Flyer's evidence, and the evidence of our own eyes #.

# Note: 12th Aug 2015, #49 on "Will the real EZ999 please step forward ?" Thread:

Danny to BBad,

"Thanks for the links ! - No.2 and No.3 don't add much, but No.1 is the winner! Clear as day on the fuselage sides are the bolt etc. holes for the wing attachments. Even to my unskilled eye, it's plain that there was zero AoI. Proof Positive !"

Who knows what the front cockpit of an A-35 originally looked like ? I've never seen one: all I know is that what is now in the Camden Museum cockpit is nothing like an A-31. Was it from an A-35 ? Dont know - what it is was once an A-31 panel which has passed through the hands of a generation of Technical College students and may now be a one-off like nothing else on earth. (Chugalug, you may remember the "Stearman Pilot's Panel" that came on the market - and which we tore to shreads !)

For the authors of the A.P. to use this in their PNs for an A-35 seems unwise (to say the least). Is there any record of what the Tug pilots found when they climbed into the cockpit with it ?

Enough already, more later.

Danny.