PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to change frequencies?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2015, 15:57
pulse1

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Speedbird91,
I wonder if you are asking on the wrong forum. You might get more help on Private Flying Forum. You may even learn a lot from a search on that form using key words.

The problem is that there are several options and it is finally up to you what frequencies you use on route.

The bottom line, and not at all recommended, is that, provided you remain VFR outside controlled air space and ATZs, you can set the Bournemouth App. frequency as soon as you leave EMA. You will then call Bournemouth about 10 minutes before you reach their CTR (having arranged PPR by telephone beforehand of course).

What I would recommend is that, once you have your PPL, you fly with someone who will show you what to do and, perhaps, help you to do the radio work for a routes which take you to and through different types of airspace.

I would particularly recommend that you study CAP 413 before you complete your PPL. Your GFT may require you to answer some of your questions in flight, during a diversion for example. Examiners can be quite evil in giving you a diversion which takes you through an ATZ which has an A/G. Well, mine did anyway.