PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proof that DAS Skidmore is a new broom
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2015, 06:46
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Perhaps a statement like this would be suitable - if only he'd put one out, the recalcitrant bastard!

GPO Box 2005 Canberra ACT 2601 Telephone: (02) 6217 1001 Facsimile: (02) 6217 1555
OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR OF AVIATION SAFETY

Trim Ref: F15/529

23 April 2015

Dear Sir/Madam

Update on new flight crew licensing regulations

I am writing to you about the new flight crew licensing suite of regulations that took effect in September 2014. Following the introduction of the regulations, CASA became aware a number of people and organisations had concerns about some of the new requirements. To address these issues
a special forum with representatives of the aviation community was held in December 2014.

The forum was extremely valuable in providing CASA with first-hand experience and feedback on key issues. As a result of this feedback CASA has made adjustments to the way some aspects of the new rules are being implemented, as well as some changes to the regulatory requirements themselves.

Where requirements have been changed this has been
done by way of instruments and exemptions. Some of the changes already made relate to check pilots conducting proficiency checks, low level rating and aerial mustering training and flight testing, fire fighting operations, aerial application proficiency checks and R22 and R44 helicopter ratings.

Many of the issues identified to date relate to some of the transition arrangements for the new rules and I accept CASA has to do better in this area. The changes being made now by way of instruments and exemptions will be incorporated into a revised rule set at a later date.

Good progress is also being made on a range of other issues that need to be addressed. These include the student pilot dual check period, the low-level rating flight review period, updates to the Part 61 Manual of Standards, English language proficiency, flight examiner ratings and flight testing. We are also developing further guidance and information material to help everyone understand the new rules.

Already more than 10,600 new Part 61 licences have been issued, even though the transition period for pilots runs until September 2018. The fact that we are adjusting the new rules and the way they are applied shows we are committed to continuous improvement. Aviation safety standards are not intended to be static as they must adapt to reflect the real world
environment.

To that end, I need your feedback. While consultation takes place as rules are being developed, inevitably there are issues or unintended consequences that need to be addressed. We need feedback from individuals and organisations about what is working well and what is not. I give my personal assurance that all comments, feedback and criticism will
be looked at carefully and given full consideration. Of course this does not mean CASA can accept every suggestion or agree with every viewpoint, but we will listen and where legitimate issues or problems are identified we will respond.
If you have a contribution you wish to make to the review of the new flight crew licensing suite of regulations please send them to: [email protected]

I thank everyone for their patience and valued contributions as we collectively work to bed down the new licensing regulations and stress again that I want open and honest feedback on what is working and what is not. By co-operating we will get the right safety outcomes from regulations that support a vibrant and strong Australian aviation community.

You can find detailed information on the licensing suite of regulations on CASA’s web site:
www.casa.gov.au/licensingregs.

Safe flying

Mark Skidmore AM
Director of Aviation Safety