PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Susi Air job
Thread: Susi Air job
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2015, 05:34
RHSandLovingIt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Company provides accommodation when you are "on tour". When you are on you "days off", it depends on if there is space at the base as to whether you can stay. Tours are either 3 weeks on, 1 week off or 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off, depending on the base.

Most guys/gals go touring around SE Asia or head home etc. during days off as the company accommodation is pretty "basic" and the cities/towns that the bases are in aren't for the most part what one would call tourist hotspots :P

You generally get breakfast (cereal, toast etc), lunch and dinner provided, although there is usually 1 day a week which is designated "maids day off" where you have to fend for yourselves

For the most part, it is really only "entertainment" expenses, holiday travel and your cellphone charges that you need to pay for.

FOs don't have a permanent base (you can apply for one after flying at all of them). This does not guarantee you a permanent room though. Just that they will send you back to your permanent base for each tour.

Captain's usually get assigned a "permanent" room at their base. This generally just means they get priority on the room if they are on base (ie. any FO staying in there will have to move to a different room) and that they get a lockable wardrobe/cupboard that they can leave their **** in when going on holiday.

FOs basically play musical rooms all the time and you move about with all your stuff in your suitcase.

Then you go out on a 4-5 day tour to a satellite base, at which point you have to pack up all your stuff and vacate the room in case someone needs the room while you are away. When you get back, you could get a different room (maybe even in a different house).

You get good at learning to live with only 15Kgs of stuff and one suitcase :P

I know some guys opted to find their own accommodation when they had a permanent base (usually because they had wife and/or kids). I believe the company gives you a "credit" for organising your own accommodation, but I'm not sure if they still do this or how much it is. I know a lot of the captain's based in Jakarta take the subsidy and find their own apartments.

Probably not a realistic option for an FO, as with the diff between the ACTUAL exchange rate of IDR13,800+ to USD1 (as at 18/08/2015) and the fixed conversion of IDR12,000 to USD1 that the company is using the current starting salaries are effectively (original value in brackets) only:

<500hrs TT ~USD780 (900)
500-1000hrs TT ~USD985 (1135)
1000+ TT ~USD1115 (1285)

The difference works out to a pay cut of, currently, just under 15% and getting worse every day

I also heard that new hires were no longer getting their return airfares to/from their allocated base to Jakarta (or Bali) at end of tour covered by the company. But that is just rumour as far as I know.

Last edited by RHSandLovingIt; 19th Aug 2015 at 05:49. Reason: Forgot to mention food...