PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training to become a Pilot with little money
Old 18th Aug 2015, 19:57
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Here's a question(s).
What sort of airline flying are you interested in?
Regional?
Short haul?
Long haul?
Turboprop?
Regional jets?

We're finally seeing the larger companies hire non cadets/experienced pilots who aren't type rated or non jet. This is a first for many years. Something to consider if your heart is set on just flying an Airbus for easyJet or a Boeing for Ryanair. (UK-centric).

It's all a bit varied as you can see, as is the pathway to getting there.

As for the colour blindness, get it checked using Ishihara plates. Actually, vision overall is critical, likewise hearing etc.
So, as you're 13, there's a lot you can do even before you apply to become a pilot. Therefore, keep yourself healthy by doing various activities that encourages fitness, problem solving and team work. Wear appropriate protection, especially helmets. Look after your hearing.

You've apparently got the academic stuff sorted so I won't go on about it.
Some people advocate getting a degree, personally, I don't unless you intend on working in that field for a few years. Degrees cost a lot of money. Money you can spend flying.

Apprenticeships/trades can be useful, especially electrical/engineering ones.
They can help with understanding the bun fight that is the ATPL and are useful fall back subjects. A mate wired up his house (Electrical engineer + pilot).

I do know easyJet do take on internal staff but you need CPL+IR+ ATPL subjects (aka "frozen" ATPL).
ATC to ATPL? Good pay but extremely competitive to get in.

You'd be better off researching who offers scholarships etc
Look at HCoAP

Good luck (an exec pilot)