PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2015, 17:38
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking about Tanks, it could be argued that the Sherman tank was a bit like the T34, a number being needed to take out a Tiger or Panther Tank, F22 or F35?

I am not sure what aircraft are the T34 and Shermans here? Mig 35 and Typhoon?
As I stated in my original post, no one has "gone cheap" with airplanes. Every force that has used air power with any degree of success has NOT "gone cheap" and has instead created fleets of expensive platforms. The idea of "cheap air fleets" seems to be a myth with zero examples to support it.

And one reason for that is the crew. It takes YEARS to train a pilot and years of experience before that pilot is any good. Even if we could buy a very large number of airplanes cheaply, we could not train enough pilots to operate them and could certainly not replace those pilots when they got shot out of the sky, even if we could replace the airplanes. The Japanese made that mistake in WW2. They did not have an effective pilot training pipeline and while they could replace their aircraft losses after Midway, they were never able to replace their pilot losses.