PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hi honey I'm home! - 3 Wk PPL Completed.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2001, 22:06
Blindside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Hi honey I'm home! - 3 Wk PPL Completed.

Well, I’ve completed the first rung on the ladder – the PPL.

I chose to spend my money at Britannia Flight Centre in Winter Haven, Florida. The course lasted 3 weeks, was completed in a Warrior PA-28, and was an absolute scream.

The atmosphere at the club is extremely friendly and relaxed, however should you require anything the staff cannot do enough. There are no dress requirements, which is incredibly important in daily temperatures of 30 +. There were some poor (but rich) unfortunates who were at a school at a nearby airport who were required to wear shirt and tie, I’d have melted.

The accommodation is similar to up-market student digs, it has got a pool, air con, etc. It’s adequate but I was hardly in it. Everybody eats out, as it’s easier and fairly cheap. The school gives the students a car with free gas to use, which makes getting around easy.

The planes are fairly basic, but are being modernized. I understand that this is a legacy of the schools previous owner failing to reinvest prior to selling the business. The new owners (both instructors) are actively rectifying this.

It’s vital to do some study before you go out there. It’s possible to study, take the exams and learn to fly in 3 weeks but it isn’t ideal. You can find yourself studying to pass the exams rather than studying to learn the information, which is hardly the point. You can feel that you are operating on the edge of your knowledge, which can be unnerving. If you are going to use up the majority of your annual leave in one hit, you need to be able to relax, so do yourself a favour and read the books before you go.

The flying was fantastic, with loads of variety, flying over Miami at night was special. My instructor was excellent, and I heard good things about the others. I also completed my night rating whilst there.

Students are able to pay in installments, thereby minimizing risk. If the school is not for you, you can leave as you haven’t paid everything up front. There was no pressure to pay the money, I paid in three installments and each time it was me who initiated the conversation to save me from carrying the travellers cheques around.

If I knew then what I know now, would I go to Britannia? – absolutely, I cannot fault the place.

If anybody wants any more info, feel free to email me.

Very best regards

An absolutely delighted Blindside (Captain)

ps Thanks to all of you who gave me advice etc.

[ 09 July 2001: Message edited by: Blindside ]