PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2015, 12:45
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The issue from now on is how we manage what has come out of the program, which is (at best) an aircraft more expensive to acquire and operate than most of the aircraft it replaces, and that (for the USAF) doesn't come close to filling the gap left by the 150 F-22s that were chopped to pay the F-35 bills.

(That was back in 2009 when Dr "Smartest Guy In the Room" Gates was assuring us that we wouldn't see a single Chinese stealth airplane before 2020.)

CM - There is not much new in the report but it is a competent summary of the current status. It could (I think) be a bit harsher in terms of the realism of Marine Corps plans, which seem to be based on the notion that the F-35B's logistics footprint will be equal to or smaller than that of the AV-8B.

Engines - To be clear, I was talking about the HUD optical chain. My understanding (for a long time) has been that the optrickery beneath the HUD combiner has always demanded a lot of space, which is why current cockpits mostly have three screens with the center one being lower. The Up Front Control and the Rafale's HLD (alias "What The Butler Saw Machine") are there to put something useful in front of the HUD box.

Optical waveguides make the HUD much smaller and more compact. The photo I posted was Elbit hardware that is planned to be adapted for the Brazilian Gripens.

And yes, there was a requirement for an HMD with a video capability, but not having a HUD has imposed some difficult requirements. The optical waveguide technology + more relaxed requirements results in much less costly video-capable HMDs.