PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racetrack procedure - when to descend
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2015, 02:30
Major Cleve Saville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vdbroeck

Major, where did you see a holding over DERUX
Er.....that would be the HP DERUX. You must be ex-Sabena.

Racetrack procedure
A procedure designed to enable the aircraft to reduce altitude during the initiai approach segment and/or establish the aircraft inbound when the entry into a reversal procedure is not practical.

Looking at the AIP chart I don't believe this was ever intended to be a racetrack as such as as there seems to be no descent outbound in the Hold/'Racetrack' shown. I believe if the national authority had intended a descent after 14 DME in the turn it would have been shown in the vertical profile.

The fact that on the AIP chart there is a thin line for the hold/racetrack makes me think it is a hold and not part of the IAP.

Personally I am not a big fan of Jeppesen charts, to me these days too many errors and misinterpretations ambiguities and too slow a revision process. Also lacking clarity. Designed with Lawyers not Pilots in mind?

Airmanship says even if you descend in the turn you are not going to have a problem anyway, but with 8 miles to loose 2200' I think I would wait until established inbound

Last edited by Major Cleve Saville; 18th Aug 2015 at 02:50.