PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racetrack procedure - when to descend
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2015, 21:36
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What adds to the confusion is on the AIP chart, which IMHO is the source document for the commercial chart publishers, to shows a descending dotted line "from STARS" so as to be 4000' at 12DME. This routing is between the 14nm point and 12nm point and is depicted as almost a straight in. This would suggest a descent from 5000' at 14nm is safe. However, the Jeppesen chart shows 5000' - 4000' as being on 013 track. Could this be the interpretation of the chart publishers? LIDO shows a descending turn which seems safe according to AIP.
Next question: if in doubt ere on the side of caution. If you hold 5000' until inbound 013 can you descend to meet the profile? Yes.
I understand the question because of the confusion. Can you achieve the task required erring on the safe side? Yes. But is always gratifying to solve the puzzle. If you are an airline you should have a Nav/performance dept. They should have contact with the chart providers. Throw the question at them. The company has a duty of care to its crews not to endanger their operation. It would not be the first time an error has been discovered. Confusion is never healthy in our game.