PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we heading for kilgramme fares ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2015, 08:15
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
layman
By the way, having a quick look at the DDA, I don't believe weight / size is considered to be a disability.
There are most definitely situations under the DDA where obesity would fall under the Commonwealth’s definition of “disability”. The problem is you and I aren’t qualified to make that call and neither is most if not all service providers. Secondly discrimination based on weight is covered under some of the States Anti-Discrimination Laws. Have a look at Victoria.
disability, in relation to a person, means:

(a) total or partial loss of the person’s bodily or mental functions; or

(b) total or partial loss of a part of the body; or

(c) the presence in the body of organisms causing disease or illness; or

(d) the presence in the body of organisms capable of causing disease or illness; or

(e) the malfunction, malformation or disfigurement of a part of the person’s body; or

(f) a disorder or malfunction that results in the person learning differently from a person without the disorder or malfunction; or

(g) a disorder, illness or disease that affects a person’s thought processes, perception of reality, emotions or judgment or that results in disturbed behaviour;

and includes a disability that:

(h) presently exists; or

(i) previously existed but no longer exists; or

(j) may exist in the future (including because of a genetic predisposition to that disability); or

(k) is imputed to a person.

To avoid doubt, a disability that is otherwise covered by this definition includes behaviour that is a symptom or manifestation of the disability.