PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cape Flying Services...south Africa
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2003, 09:47
sanjo69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CAPE FLYING SERVICES GEORGE SA

Hello to all,

Many thanks for your comments and time taken to respond to this post.

Perhaps, a minority of you are missing the point here?

This complaint is not directed at Cape Flying Services George, but, Mr Naunton Pugh, trading as Cape Flying Services (Europe). This is probably the accepted NORMAL PRACTICE (answers some points) within this type of flying school or maybe even throughout Africa or even the world, who knows?

Yes, it was quite correct that my experience was essentially based from a virgin prospective (guys, remember what these are!) that I could be duped into thinking that an experienced UK based aviation agent/ expert of a reputable flying school based in South Africa could persuade an inexperienced virgin potential pilot into thinking that a PPL could be obtained within 3 weeks. These are the facts, no question about it; the documents are available for perusal. Let’s face it; will you accept some kind of advice from one kind of professional source or another in our lives, answer, YES, what is different about aviation issues?

I as guided by the agent who is based in Cambridge, UK, that is, Mr Naunton Pugh, who incidentally happens to be the editor for International Flight Training News, probably and more than likely more involved in aviation than it appears to be, i.e., IFTNEWS.COM. Surprisingly enough, promotes this school for aviation training, well let’s face it, as a virgin pilot, it was very convincing.

Based on the facts that was provided I studied my ground school prior to my departure to South Africa expecting to achieve my PPL within my time period of 30th March till 17th April (at least 18 days available flying time), a very achievable goal, as per supplied literature.

To date, Mr Pugh, the UK based Agent has refused to discuss any issue raised either on this forum, correspondence (60 pages) or anything else for that matter. Mr Todd (CFI-CFS) at Cape Flying Services George does not appear in the equation as the full package was discussed, negotiated and executed by Mr Pugh, who is based in the UK;

Does he operate on his own or with Cape Flying Services George blessing, who knows?

Nobody expects that an aviation license could be justifiably issued over a weekend of training and indeed any one who thinks so, perhaps, should be committed to one of those special places. As an aviation enthusiast it is reasonable to assume that the process of learning doesn’t stop, even, when a PPL is issued. The package as sold by Mr Pugh was inclusive of a reasonable amount of costs in pursuit of an achievable PPL within the period of availability.

To answer the comments of NorthSouth
1. I agree, 36 hours flying time from any school in 15 days is good, but only, as an hour building exercise. I was and available to fly in George for almost 18 days not for an “hour building exercise” but as a structured AND personal course to complete the PPL as was stated in the contract with CFS (Europe), from scratch that is Mr Pugh. This course was for at least 45 hours flying time over my period at CFS in George to complete the PPL.

2. The important issue to understand that Mr Pugh sold a course to be completed within the specified period, he is the professional with all the knowledge and experience of this school, aviation and it’s practical issues, I was being guided by a so called professional. I could have been told it takes infinity to achieve the goal of a PPL, I quite honestly did not know, I was advised by Mr Pugh and for all intense purposes was totally blind to the fact. My naive ness may astound you but the issue was very convincing. I am not normally duped into this sort of situation at all. It is reasonable to say that Mr Pugh was fully in control of the situation. My PPL will require about 12- 15 hours flying time to complete in the UK, at a cost of about £2000.00, includes exams, medical etc, etc. This additional time was not available whilst I was in South Africa and no doubting my ability this PPL would have been achievable with some hard work and availability of an additional 7 days or so. Bear in mind that the course was supposedly structured to meet my needs for completion within the specified period of availability as per the contract and to which Mr Pugh was fully aware.

With respect to exceeding 25 hours dual training prior to solo status is concerned and the concept that achieving PPL status may not be achievable is total and absolute nonsense. No doubt, many top quality pilots achieve this status in excess of this limit and therefore become safer and more competent pilots, in particular, in my case, over 40 years old. This is a proven fact to my understanding.

Whilst I don’t have an issue with any instructor in particular, the issue of this school’s structure should surely be taken into consideration with respect of student ability. That is, non existent lectures, poor quality aircraft and accommodation, over subscription of students and perhaps more importantly, a totally non existent customer service policy.

3. I am not exactly qualified to give potential pilots advice, but, I agree, with hindsight, extreme care should be taken before entering to any agreement and that extreme caution, in particular when this school is concerned and any dealings with Mr Pugh, should be exercised PRIOR to handing over any money prior to services being provided. In this case the original demand for money was pure coincidence that is amounted to the same as the deposit and upon further investigation an overcharge on the invoice was found.

I agree the policy of pay as you fly should be insisted. To my understanding and to my further investigation upon my arrival back in the UK it is an accepted practice to pay as you fly within the UK.

Many thanks for B Sousa comments and in response

4. I was in George for at least and available to fly 18 days in total.

5. The reason I am not (politely) happy with Mr Pugh (Cape Flying Services (Europe) the UK based agent for Cape Flying Services based in George is that he was fully aware of my availability to be in South Africa. I was under no illusion that a lot of hard work was required, indeed, as stressed by Mr Pugh the only reason, other than the gods, for my failure to achieve a PPL within the time period was my lack of ground school preparation other than this, my course would be structured to meet my needs. This was his advertised words. Strangely, all the response and defence comes from Cape Flying Services South Africa. This maybe the normal practice of this school and its UK agent.

6. With respect, there is going with the flow and drowning in the “rip off” culture and I am afraid to say the latter prevails. The course was paid in £ sterling in the UK and discussion in SA Rand at the school. To be informed by the school “principal” that the course fee was undercharged by the agent is totally unacceptable and at best insulting. I am trying hard to accept that SA people are decent folk and that aviation folk are of a calibre to be respected. If I wanted to or was expected to live in an igloo, mud hut or reside in my motor vehicle for 18 days then at least I would have expected to have been told this at the beginning. A hostel based in the “old days” of South Africa was not expected by myself and NOT EVEN by the principles of the school.

Having spent at least 12 good years of my life living in South Africa I did not expect the absolute failure of this school to meet my expectations in all it’s advertised departments. The school and it’s UK based agent, Mr Pugh has not realised the damage it has caused to South African aviation and it’s training facilities. Lets face it when you expect a level of service you are very disappointed in failure, likewise, I am with Mr Pugh.

I am not exactly impressed with the Cape Flying Service School, in particular, nor do I winge about every little thing that really winds me up but what I am really hacked off about is the package that was sold to me and no doubt many others by Mr Pugh, it’s UK agent. Needless to say, Mr Pugh can expect a summons through his letter box as I am suing him for the full amount of my South African trip, a total of about £5000.00.

I have also an independent “observation” report from a fellow student who attended the course at the same time and fully confirms the events in my claim. The complaint is not what was received but what was sold, the difference is enormous.

So perhaps, according to Mr Pugh, until we meet in the High Court.(UK highest court)

Regards

Sandy