PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9 months of free time. CPL ? IR ? ME ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2015, 09:49
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget the IR. Enjoy yourself instead, go gliding.

Djwam, you have not a lot of flying hours. Even with 9 months to gain qualification, it is NECESSARY to keep in practice to be safe. I got my IR in Texas, in those days a lot cheaper even including getting there. Even though this qualified me - with limitations - to fly a G reg equipped plane in Europe IR, I was far from safe and found it impossible to stay current.

Best way to get your family to Europe is to fly on a well equipped commercial airliner with experienced pilots. Otherwise you are gambling with their lives.

Even with the IR there are plenty of occasions when weather will ruin your plans, and you must have the moral fortitude to disappoint your family/friends.

If you want to try something different that could possibly involve your family actively in flying, check the British Gliding Association website for local clubs. I went for only one trial lesson, back in 1983, and have been flying both gliders and power ever since. And made a lot of very good friends as well.

O yes. Everyone tells you DON'T PAY UP FRONT for flying lessons. Does this tell you something about the motivation or business reliability of this industry?