PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAeS Conference on the selection and training of Flight Instructors
Old 16th Aug 2015, 08:23
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DB

We have to be cautious about a tendency to be UK-centric - or even Euro-centric in our observations.

If you review that map on the Transparency International site you will get an idea of scale of the problem. Increased globalisation means that you could be working for a company in any of those countries in a darker shade of red.

You could also be working alongside folk that originate from those countries in a completely different region. Although you will find excellent pilots from every corner of the globe those countries with weak and leaky licensing systems will encourage the 'wannabe' self improver (who really needs more extensive training) to lie and cheat his or her way into the industry.

I've sampled the kind of chicanery that goes on first hand and have the scars to prove it so if you are naive enough to think that Europe is immune from such things then think again. What goes on elsewhere would make you very disappointed indeed.

As to comparisons with military pilots it is worthwhile to contemplate that an offshore pilot may well have 5.000 or even 10,000 times the same 'hour' compared with the many different missions a mil pilot may have under his or her belt. I don't want to compare apples with oranges but instead look at the depth of training on offer to the two candidates. I am sure that the civil world will view the scale of a QHI course to be unaffordable but we should also be prepared to stand up and shout that the current approach is simply not good enough. A better compromise has to be found.

G.

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 16th Aug 2015 at 08:30. Reason: a fuller answer