PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone identify these ribbons?
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2015, 21:36
rlsbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
missing medals

We might have been content with TTN (#31) saying “There are other possibilities of course” – but we were not. Suggestions have so far been post-WWII. So I take the liberty of mentioning a few others.

One possibility is the 1937 Coronation Medal. If you would consider adding to that the 1935 Jubilee Medal, you are postulating an authentic “Uncle” figure likely, after an early tour on bombers for instance, to be confined to HQ to make the most of his age and experience.

Such an “Uncle” was unlikely to be in a position to earn a Mention in Despatches in a later campaign. So instead of the pre-war medals, two others might be considered.

One is because in both world wars quite a lot of brave men were awarded a mention when they were recommended for some higher award. As some compensation, the protocols of which I know nothing, a French or Belgian Croix-de-Guerre or other allied award might be awarded for the gallantry. In the Pacific theatre, the source might most usually be the USA which (Wikipedia says) awarded 258 Distinguished Service Crosses to non-US combatants in WWII. What makes this suggestion attractive is that its relative rarity might explain why the medal was extracted from the group.

Another WWII medal suited to the missing location is one of several exclusive to members of Dominion air forces for their war service. My father was a Brit in the Canadian army and therefore wore the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal immediately after his Victory Medal. I think I am right in noting that the Indian equivalent of such a medal could not be claimed if the applicant was entitled to the Defence Medal - which narrows the search ever so slightly. The Australia Service Medal would be the prime candidate, I should think.

Last edited by rlsbutler; 15th Aug 2015 at 21:41. Reason: afterthought