PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VJ Day Commemoration
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2015, 17:40
Wwwop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there......

I was a WAAF wireless op in Colombo, Ceylon. We were allowed two passes out until 2230 and two until 2259 per week when not on duty and only for approved functions and destinations We were well chaperoned!
If I remember correctly, we heard about the Nagasaki bombing the day afterwards on 10 August. All vehicle sirens let loose and church bells rang out. We thought as the war is over we could stay out until midnight. However, they were waiting for us in the guardroom. For this crime, we received four days jankers. We were released in time for the celebrations. On the 25th we marched in the Victory Parade with Lord Louis taking the salute.
I have the pictures.

A Daughter Writes..........
The RN does things rather differently of course. Father had recently returned from a trip up the Irrawaddy on a MGB. On VJ Day the Governor was back in his Rangoon Residence and party invitations were issued to all officers. 'Would you like some gin?' Mad majors, tanks driven up the Residency drive and general mayhem ensued.

Selfishly, I am pleased there was no 'straight home' in 1945 as my parents did not meet until the following year in Singapore. As my parents say today.....we were just kids!