PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2015, 16:33
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Staines, however, heralded the birth of CRM and Human Factors being taken seriously. I think at that moment in time, BEA Captains actually spent layovers in a different Hotel to the rest of the crew.
Actually I think you'll find that is was a chain of accidents with an airline in the USA (United?) that caused the birth of CRM.

Also not sure it was BEA Captains but rather BOAC Captains that stayed in a different hotel to the rest of the crew at that time. When I joined BOAC in 1970 all crew stayed in the same hotel as standard some time before I joined. The vast majority of Captains I flew with were not "god like" and indeed fostered a good working environment.

Like all accidents (Swiss cheese model) there were many factors associated with the Trident accident at Staines. It's a while since I've read the full report but I do recall BEA had a couple of near misses where the droop was retracted at too low an airspeed at low level but they got away with it. Although this was reported internally there was no legal obligation to report and indeed this accident heralded the Mandatory Occurrence Reporting scheme.