PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VJ Day Commemoration
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2015, 11:56
ICM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's an aspect of all this of which I must admit I was not aware until comparatively recently. On 7 May 1945, as the war with Germany ended, all of the assets of 4 Group, Bomber Command, were transferred to Transport Command for service in the Far East. By late 1944, it had been agreed in London that, once the war in Europe was won, Mountbatten's forces in India would be reinforced for an invasion of Burma. So, from May 45, crews who had been flying bomber missions began to re-train on the Dakota and to learn the arts of transport support flying.

The capitulation of the Japanese in August 1945 changed things, and the focus shifted to increasing transport resources for repatriation. The crews of 10 Sqn, for example, returned from a spell of Embarkation Leave to hear of the change in plans. The move to India began in early September with, it seems, congestion at staging posts causing a number of varied routes to be flown. 10 Sqn was sent to Poona and was mainly involved in flying repat sorties from the east coast to Karachi, a task that began to wane somewhat by early-1946. In mid-March the Sqn was detached to Burma to carry out food relief drops to Kachin hill villages that had destroyed their rice supplies to prevent these falling into Japanese hands. The terrain was challenging, to say the least, and the Sqn lost 3 crews in the hills on 29 March 1946.

Using personnel signed-up for wartime service to repatriate others caused difficulties in January 1946. Men became concerned that the best jobs back home would be taken by those they were processing to the UK, and a strike of sorts occurred over a few days at a number of bases in India - though it appears that services were maintained. That apart, my understanding is that men went home on due dates, in accordance with the rules of the time.

Squadrons were retained in-theatre until the partition of India and did sterllng work in the movement of Hindi and Muslim people in the weeks beforehand, and in the training of Indian and Pakistani crews for what lay ahead - very much another story.