PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planes That Changed the World
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2015, 11:52
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Wander, I am guessing that you joined the mile high club in this Anson!

On serious note going back to the OP, I am not sure how the SR71 "changed the world" I have no doubt that the technology was ahead of its time and laid the path for many things to follow in materials, aerodynamics and propulsion. I say this having spent several hours in the company of Rich Graham. Without this aircraft would World War 3 have been over and done with by now?

I love the Mosquito as an example of exploiting available materials at the time and the resources (woodworkers) to build them.

TSR 2 laid the groundwork for Tonka systems according to John Forbat's book. Now this aircraft did have an impact on how we view Politics of aircraft procurement in Britain (probably not the world).

I believe Bell X1 flew only a matter of months after M52 was due to take to the air. Again Politics came to the fore. Would the world be any different had it been the other way round.

For me the Comet and hence Nimrod had the greatest impact on my life. Many hours burning the midnight oil. I must not forget the C130 or Coff would have me excommunicated from PRuNe

I think the next thing that will change the world will be Skylon.