PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cant decide. Property or CTC? - Pilots please help
Old 15th Aug 2015, 08:54
microkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wo Wo Wo!

Don`t want to see any misconceptions creeping in about turbofan's being any more superior than turboprops because it`s BS! I`ve flown both types for a number of carriers (regional, cargo, charter, major, LCC etc) and to be honest, taking into account a large number of variables, some of the best jobs/careers around are flying the ATR/Dash8 (latest glass cockpit models) in regional operations. Business operations can be hit and miss really. It`s not so much whether it`s a "turbofan" or "turboprop" as there can be a lot of overlap, e.g within the business scene the Piaggio Avanti II really outperforms similar sized "jets" in many ways. (FL410 TAS 400Kt, 40% less fuel burn).

For me, the aviation has really become more of a sideline as there is much more to life than flying 900 hours a year in a LCC for example. Personally, the thought of paying 150K to CTC and ending up in Easyjet makes me feel physically sick. I went down the property route which is my primary business now. Property is more of a longer term investment, renting out is best solution now as flipping is difficult due to mortgage restrictions and income tax issues. I wouldn`t look at it as an income stream in itself, just something in the background for the future.

What you need to do is BOTH. Putting Buy to let mortgages on both properties will raise funds for another career, whether it`s flying or something else. However I`d avoid CTC as the return on investment is crap, there are better options.