PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft crash at Blackbushe.
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2015, 07:50
Arfur Dent

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Extraordinary in the BEA Staines crash that nobody noticed 'someone' erroneously retracting the 'droops' - perhaps they were all too busy taking the piss. Expensive joke that!
Staines, however, heralded the birth of CRM and Human Factors being taken seriously. I think at that moment in time, BEA Captains actually spent layovers in a different Hotel to the rest of the crew. Brave man who questions that God-like aviator!
Back to topic - perhaps this 'accident' (is it an accident to go off the end of a runway that you just touched down way too fast on and 2/3 of the way down - more an 'inevitable result!!) will prompt regulators to insist that all jets above a certain weight have 2 pilots - they sure as hell all have 2 pilot seats.
Who hasn't been 'hot and high'? It's not a nice feeling and is now pretty much a thing of the past due to 'stabilised approach criteria'. I did a couple of 'idle thrust' landings in 747's way back when men were men and go-a rounds caused by stuffing up the descent were for wimps!!! Saw many Skippers do them before I was promoted and the thought was 'that saved lots of fuel' or some such quip.
Don't do it any more - quite rightly - and if I did, my PM would be obliged to suggest/insist on a GA.
Let's hope some good comes of this. RIP.