PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planes That Changed the World
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2015, 07:19
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you amalgamate Fox 3's top 2/3 with Roadster's I think you have your answer.

Interesting that arguably no jet fighter has changed the world. Even in the case of the Spitfire and Hurricane, you have fighters that took part in world determining events...but were actually merely a stepping stone in the line of thought that you could mount air to air and air to mud weaponry on a tactical size aircraft. I'd probably admit the P-51D managed it...'Now the bomber genuinely will always get through because we've got OCA all the way there and back'.

Plenty of aircraft can lay claim to dramatically increasing the capability shown by something else that had already changed the world, without changing the world in so doing.

Chinook is a great example. Absolutely staggering capability but no world changer. As has already been pointed out. The world changer was the ability to move troops and materiel around the battlefield without touching the ground - provided I think by the UH-1. The Chinook simply, but magnificently, exploits an already changed world.

Enjoying the British nostalgia, but considering the world outside the RAF, FAA and AAC I don't think the Bucc, Harrier family or Tornado lineage actually changed anything. Enjoy your weekends all.