PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2015, 03:01
Danny42C

Armourer ? We have need of thee !

It wasn't an empty threat - here we go again !

Possibility: this is just a dummy bomb in training somewhere, no sign of any other military hardware.

Note trunnion band on bomb: the trunnions engage with the forks you see in the bomb bay. These forks are adjusted onto the trunnions by a "turnbuckle" on the prongs. When bomb drops, forks throw bomb out clear of aircraft (otherwise [in vertical dive] may fall "live" onto front bulkhead, or into prop - either way, Bad Idea).

Ju 87 "Stuka" had same arrangement for the external bomb, same reason.

This is the hard way for pilot to do it (a/c may have been hours in the sun and hot as Hell). Macaque at 3.27 has right idea (more on him later), but too small to make the next jump onto wing.

Note much smaller white roundel centre in comparison with RAAF ones. And the last (curved) section of perspex over gunner's cockpit hasn't been chucked out yet (they'll learn !)

Gunner checks "Full and Free movement" (good demo of the rear gun mountings - they were on a pillar on a universal joint at the bottom, so could wobble about quite a bit even with restraining links. Now imagine what it would be like when the Oscars (or [hope not] Kawanishi N1K Kyofu later) are coming in and your Box-of-Six VV is making elephantine attempts to corkscew, and your pilot is slipping and skidding all over the place in his efforts to stay in position ! And remember there's nothing to stop you from shooting your own tail off.

Obvious answer: scatter, dive for the deck and run home through the treetops as fast as you can. Ce n'était pas magnifique, mais c'était la guerre ! (Just as well it never happened).

Note Flash Eliminators on muzzles and the metal clips I'll never forget.

Rather better built than normal "basha" Briefing Room (?). A Sikh always wears the turban. One clued-up chap has an Aussie Bush Hat, the others will soon be buying replacement Caps SD.

Some are carrying side arms, but think it more for show than operational (or are they just holsters - can't see any lanyards).

A ground radio truck - ATC ? - if so, the only ATC there ever was in India or Burma in my time.

It was unusual to paint bomblets (line-shooting ?) - can't make out nose art above (in the Vlad footage, there is a "Hyderabad Tiger" on an IAF VV pulling away from dispersal in a circle that size of picture).

2.55 Free bananas on tap ad lib (Fox 3 to note !)

Macaque shows how to do it - but can't manage the last bit - Waddling around wearing pilot 'chute was hot and awkward; our technique was: carry your 'chute out onto the wing, then right foot on wheel, left foot on stirrup, scramble up on top, put 'chute into seat, climb in and buckle on in comfort.

Persistence pays !- backseat man stands (WTF ?) to see what pilot is doing (too rich), donk fires at last and he bobs down. It was probably bad practice to hold down both "Energise" and "Engage" inertia starter switches together (to keep cranking), but when the rest of your Flight is waiting for you to start so's you can pull out onto taxiway in proper order, that's what you do.

Of course one of the first things when you've got it going is to check all hydraulics, but why would you leave the d/brakes out ? There's always the chance that you'd forget and try to take off - but you'd only do that once ! (Vlad shows another one doing exactly the same).

Checked my log book for EZ971 - but never flew it.

Now this is all Vlad footage. Macaque has got up there at last and gambolling all over the aircraft. Gunner will be lucky if he doesn't get bitten. But now we have rough dates. Sqn Ldr Ira Sutherland (RNZAF) took over from Sqn Ldr Prasad in Feb '44. Oddly I don't remember any pet monkey at all. Boss Sutherland did not strike me as a man who would take much interest in small furry things (except in curries). But I was away from end of February till early June, so the little animal might well have come and gone in that time

Now we go back to the "wide open space" I mentioned at the start. It is probably Paphamau. Fine shots of VVs landing etc. Note long take off runs (and these aircraft would be at least 2,000 lb lighter than in 'op' trim), and the choking dust in the dry season.

And that's about it. Thanks, Chugalug, for this link which has given us so much interest. Now if you (or anyone else) wants a real hoot, run the little (6.31 on side show) computer-generated offering. The compiler's idea of a VV pilot's instrument panel recalls exactly your comment on your soi-disant "Stearman Panel" ("All the right instruments - but not necessarily in the right order !") This is a real dog's dinner, and the "designer" who has obviously taken immense pains to get the detail right, has based it on the Narellan cockpit. For what else could he find to rely on ? And he's not the only one to have been "led up the Garden Path" in this way. No less than an A.P. (a Pilot's Notes) has fallen into the same trap.

There is a Post to be written about that and I may get round to it.

Cheers, Danny.

Gaudeamus igitur, Iuvenes eramus ! VJ Day today ! Break out the Guinness and make Wassail !

Last edited by Danny42C; 15th Aug 2015 at 03:07. Reason: Typos