PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lets talk drones
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2015, 16:42
Mechta

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But hey someone got some cool overhead photos on a go pro so the risk of killing hundreds of people was def worthwhile....
Nowherespecial, as you are talking about risk, the probability of a birdstrike with a goose or buzzard is far greater than with a drone, so maybe you should be insist the RSPB get them all fitted with FLARM and transponders?

Model flying sites are not specifically marked on any air map that I have seen, and the only fatal collision with a model that I am aware of was on a shared site (Hang glider & slope soarer, Devil's Dyke, 1987), so the risk from randomly colliding with a drone in uncontrolled airspace must be equally small.

There was a case recently of a full size aeroplane clipping a model (presumably a slope soarer) at Mill Hill, near Shoreham, this year, but to my mind anyone who does a low approach over a known popular slope soaring site needs their head examined.

Plane nearly crashed after model aircraft smashed into it at 1,000ft - Mirror Online

https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Arti...ll-West-Sussex

Last edited by Mechta; 14th Aug 2015 at 17:11. Reason: BMFA link added & 'Cessna' deleted. Mirror used library picture...