PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA New Part 91
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2015, 15:31
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loading luggage on seats

the first cross country I did across australia was done with a friend.
we loaded the luggage in accordance with the very scant loading information in the DCA stamped flight manual.
first leg was 2 1/2 hours to kalgoorlie.
about half the way I noticed that the elevator trim had no more range and was on the forward stop.
for the last half hour into Kal I was applying more and more forward elevator.
this continued on each leg all the way across to albury, the destination.

on my return I decided to investigate and jacked the aircraft in the hangar.
I did a full first principles measure up of the weight and balance.
I considered and weighed up every scenario that was possible for flying the aircraft.

after some weeks of deliberation I came to the conclusion that putting the luggage in a sausage bag (sports bag) to about the dimensions of a human torso, sitting this in the seat on its end and strapping it in with the lap sash seat belt was the safest option for cross country flight.
after all if a passenger was safe sitting there in the lap sash belt then a sports bag of the same dimensions would be equally as secure.

of course my aircraft only has two seats and as part of its confguration it has dual controls. the passenger rudder pedals sit flat on the floor and are inactive until lifted up on to the detents. the control column has its counterpart for the passenger.

it should be obvious to blind freddy that when you put the bag in the seat you ensure that the bag can never foul the movement of the control column.

I have flown solo across australia and back twice doing this. it changes the character of the aircraft completely since at all times the cg remains in the centre of the range.

enter the new regulations...
(3) The pilot in command of an aircraft engaged in a flight commits an offence if, at any time during the flight, the pilot permits cargo to be carried in the aircraft on a flight control seat.
Penalty: 50 penalty units.

thanks CAsA you have just made the safest method of carrying luggage in my homebuilt a subject of a draconian penalty.
how about rewording it to "the pilot permits cargo to be carried unrestrained on a flight control seat" that would fix the problem.