PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAeS Conference on the selection and training of Flight Instructors
Old 14th Aug 2015, 13:23
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JOHNI

One of the issues we need to explore is the extent to which self-selection leads to a smaller 'gene-pool' of those with what it takes to be an effective commercial instructor teaching complex aircraft to a population of students (often self selected) with less than the ideal level of skills required.

If the 'gene-pool' is full of pilots who are at best mediocre then finding the right material will require a very positive approach by those doing the instructor recruiting. Unfortunately that's not what we see happening. I have first hand (but anecdotal) reports of instructors being appointed because:

1. They are friends with the CP, Ops Director or Chief Instructor.
2. They are compliant with management's views on how to minimise training costs.
3. They have a CFI rating (despite having never actually been employed in a teaching post).
4. They are the right colour, race, creed or religion.
5. They are the only one able to speak ICAO Level 4 English or the only one available to do the TRI course.

Remember I am talking about the global pilot population here so don't get on your high horse if you think I am being defamatory about YOUR world. There are many other fish in the sea out there and our industry is becoming increasingly globalised.

In the airline world instructor selection is very structured but it seems it is anything but in the helicopter world.

G.