PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight test training & employment
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2015, 10:16
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Hi ClearProp, sorry I can't help you with wisdom about the European opportunities, I'm not "connected" there. All of my test flying has been the aftermarket modification world, survey installations, engine changes, and alternate landing gear. For my own experience, though being a "Test Pilot" always held that special appeal to me, I was asked to do it, I did not present myself as a candidate for consideration. That's not to say that you should not present yourself, but shear will alone may not be enough, the "employers" will be looking for lots of relevant flying experience.

Test Pilot training is of course important, but in my opinion, it's easier to train an experienced pilot to test, evaluate, and record data, than it is to bring a very well educated evaluator up to the piloting skills necessary to fly a new aircraft. Insurers and the regulator have thoughts about this too.

So while you're working the entry level job at the ideal company, and getting known, fly anything and everything you can, and allow yourself to become known as an experienced, competent and cautious pilot by the flight test department.