PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial flying and job prospects
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2015, 09:09
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Interns in other industry pay for an education with time and effort I know of none where they are asked to pay to work.....
Many foreign PhD candidates are essentially paying lab techs - given the amount of supervision/educational input they receive.

Many industries e.g. the UN, fashion seem keen on unpaid interns - and arguably it's cheaper to be a PTF pilot living somewhere cheap than an unpaid UN intern living in Geneva. My partner's a musician and her orchestras now comprise a large number of interns, which the orchestras are paid for taking.

The average female medical student in the UK is expected to retire without having paid off her student debt. The wards are so hostile that 1/4 leave medicine within the first two years of qualifying. A large proportion of the rest leave for the antipodes where I'm told life is better.

This year I've treated 1 professor for a serious suicide attempt, two lecturers for slicing deep wounds into their arms, and another who was biting large chunks out of herself.

It's hard out there, whichever walk of life you choose. I rarely meet anyone these days who enjoys their work.