PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Force Structure or Mass, are they important - are they finally viewed as important?
Old 14th Aug 2015, 06:06
Romeo Oscar Golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left the RAF in the early 80's because my late wife and I decided that settled education for our soon to be teenagers was a more important requirement. As separation from the family and boarding schools were not in our plan.....I left on my 38/16 point. My "tempter" to stay in was a posting to the first Tornado Squadron (The Dambusters at that time) but it was not enough to change my mind.
At that time I had no thoughts of the break up of the RAF, nor had I considered any effects of the peace dividend...I was pleased that a personal decision had been made and lacked the ability (or desire) to make dark warnings for the future. Consequently I am awed at the forsight of many contributors here and elsewhere and with the benefit of hindsight must totally agree with Fox's "cynical" view.
I went on to join the team at Warton Flt Ops and continued flying and possibly benefited from the "peace dividend".....lots of work for us!
I think Jacko's summation is very well presented and thought provoking and I hope there are many well informed responses to it.
Sadly I'm so out of date I couldn't begin to comment, other than to say the whole Military looks to me, to be in a right mess!