PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 - should Airbus be more accountable for ATHR system
Old 14th Aug 2015, 03:25
Cak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting A/THR before 1000ft is recommendation, not obligation (it says should, not must) and if you are visual with the RWY you are allowed to be stabilized at 500 ft. Also you are allowed to make small corrections anyway according to FCOM. I don't think there is a need to make a go around.
And I don't see why is such a problem to use manual thrust. If you are not satisfied with A/THR, don't use it. It's not mandatory. With just a little practice, with manual control of the THR, you can control it more precisly then A/THR. And with some specific crosswinds with heavy gusts, A/THR is almost unusable.
I was flying for years using only manual thrust because it was mandatory to switch off A/THR when you switch off A/P. We were using Lufthansa procedures and whole Lufthansa was also flying like this for years

FCOM:
If the aircraft is not stabilized on the approach path in landing configuration in the following
conditions:
‐ at 1 000 ft above airfield elevation in instrument conditions, or
‐ at 500 ft above airfield elevation in visual conditions, or
‐ as required by Operator policies/regulations.
Then a go around must be initiated unless the flight crew estimates that only small corrections are
necessary to rectify minor deviations from stabilized conditions due, amongst others, to external
perturbations.