PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we heading for kilgramme fares ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 23:31
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't believe that so many people here think this is a reasonable thing and it is inevitable!

FFS we have issues coming out of the rafters and many are safety related - fatigue, tighter schedules and turn arounds, security and the embuggerance that it is on our daily lives to name a few.

Do we really need to encourage some clown fresh from business school to look at this seriously? I do appreciate that the readers of pprune are unlikely to be the serious movers and shakers in our industry who have the ability to influence these things, but some moron with a MBA and higher positions in sight might read this crap and decide to give it a go....

When we have a serious go at managing weight by way of a proper weight budget for the aeroplanes, stripping old paint off before repaints, drying insulation and carpets on a heavy check so they don't carry hundreds of kg of moisture into the airframe, actually getting the industrial vacuum out and getting all the dust and dirt out of the airframe when it is stripped for a check, put in light weight seats, properly manage the catering so it isn't a bloated mess in terms of weight, print the inflight mag on lighter paper - or better still make it an emag on the IFE, use actual SG's for fuel and not an average, clean the aeroplanes on the outside to remove dirt, oil etc so the machines are more fuel efficient with less parasitic drag, properly rig the flight controls so there is no inefficiencies with surfaces sitting minutely into the airflow when they don't need to be, do water washes on the engines to remove internal deposits and maximise EGT margins just to name a few - when we have done all of those things we can may be come back to this idiotic idea and discover how manifestly inefficient it will be from a check in and load and trim management perspective and see how it actually introduces errors with no corresponding increase in safety.

Apart from those issues I am all for it!