PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK airport VAT scam
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 22:19
Mr Mac

Received 168 Likes on 103 Posts
Just a little point to make. Most UK airports only make any money from duty free/parking/food out lets, as the airlines especially LOCO pay naff all in the way of landing charges. Just be careful what you wish for, as the big shinny birds which we all think are so important to an airport actually often generate little income. It is the shops/food/parking which finance these places. I have built a number of these world wide and you would be amazed on the amount of time and effort that goes into those 3 aspects of airport design in comparison with gates and runways etc. The designs at Man are already concentrating on retail space even at this early stage and this will dictate the look of the new terminals. For those who do not pay for anything at the airport good luck to you, I my self usually get Private Eye and coffee if not in a lounge but if every passenger limited their spend you would see many regional airports closing. To show how important this is look how airports will try hard to get bucket and spade flight to the canaries islands due to there Tax status which airports know from sales modelling generate more duty free sales than flights to many other European destinations. I know this as my wife was in quite a senior position for a large world wide aviation group, with a number of airports world wide some of which were in the UK. As she used to say to me its about foot fall through shops and parking for cars and based A/C, that,s where the money is.