PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 21:06
PIK3141

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And why would BA, Quatas as you call it, or KLM want a hub at Prestwick ? Or GLA or EDI ? Totally irrelevant. Getting real instead of talking rubbish, with for example Cargolux, Air France, Volga Dnepr, USAF and CAF heavies yesterday, plus the lesser types, why would that not be profitable if the cost base was right ? Multiple visits by Virgin today. There are probably a dozen airfields in the UK that would love to get such traffic. Unfortunately every time the Prestwick thread is re-activated, those of negative vibes see it as cue to spout forth. Therefore positive news does not get posted. I can think of three such positives over recent months all of which will pay proper money unlike giving away hangars at uneconomic rates. Perhaps one reason why the SNP support the place is the wider aviation cluster ? Nobody has seen fit to post today's £4.1M investment in that cluster a few feet from the runway. The bottom line is that there are about 4000 jobs in the cluster, worth £60M per year to the economy so said. The airshow alone is stated to be worth £2M to the towns of Prestwick and Ayr and has an impressive line-up. So perhaps instead of worrying about Ryanair, some of you should get the perspective of the wider economic and for that matter strategic considerations ? After all, there is public tax money invested in trams, trains, bridges, et all, which I am not going to use, but I keep a sense of what is required for the greater good. And that greater good certainly includes Prestwick continuing as an airfield. The runway is a Scottish national asset.