PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North up or Track up
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 13:50
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry Captain, but I learned to navigate from people who knew how to use sextant, clock and compass before aeroplanes took to the sky. They navigated across the oceans at the time when even radio aids were in their absolute infancy so I sort of reckon I learned the real shebang.
I don't doubt you learned good navigation technique. However blind Freddy can tell you that there are a few differences in practical application... People navigating across oceans are often doing it in a team (not to mention a nice big chart plotting table to spread out on). The one navigating is not always the one piloting. Additionally, there is a bit more time to plot your mental picture when you are travelling at 10 knots as opposed to aircraft speeds in the hundreds of knots with no navigator sitting beside you.

have worked alongside RAF Tornado crews and I am pretty sure the Nav uses North up.
Once again, he ain't the driver having to plot the mental picture appropriate to the piloting. Would be more interested in hearing what a Hornet driver uses...

I have my own thoughts that 99% of those that call and say that they are 5 or 10 miles to the east when they are actually to the west are using track up
That is a really poor excuse. It's like saying because someone made a radio call on the wrong frequency they should have only one radio in the plane instead of two or three. Before moving map displays, how do you think people worked out where they were relative to something? By referencing to the compass/DG/HSI etc. Guess what? It still works that way. It's not that hard!