PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying below VAPP - What to do ?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 10:03
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if the faults/short-comings being exposed can be traced back to the operational design philosophy. A B732, even 733/4/5 were designed to be sturdy workhorses and could fly into some inhospitable tiny places and also the large cosy nests of major hubs. They, later models, even had LNAV/VNAV and could autoland. I wonder if the AB's FBW started life with a clean sheet of paper and were envisaged to be flown into major hubs with autopilot + auto throttle down an ILS to minima and then the human intervened; or autoland. It was designed to be an automatic pilot monitored a/c from immediately after takeoff to immediately before landing. It was route tested as such. OK, it had to jump through the various certification processes for VMCA/G stalls etc. but largely it was operated via automatics.
Then it was sold outside its design nest and replaced many of the older simple Boeings on routes outside major hubs. Adventures arrivals into nasty weather/winds Greek islands: tiny mountainous terrain infested airfields, all of which involved human intervention long before "immediately before landing". Mk.1 eyeball arrivals with hand on stick. Scare Blu!
Those with much more experience of AB's, and perhaps those with experience on both AB & Boeing, will inform us which is the easier/better to land in nasty gusty X-winds. Speaking to easyjet friends who flew both, it was common to want AB on smooth days and Boeing on nasty ones. What is the consensus? They should both be able to do both adequately. But having seen some videos of PIO on short finals the side stick brigade seem to have it much harder to keep the bucking bronco under control and not be spat out of the saddle.
There was a significant difference in B737 family & B767 on nasty days. The control column was much calmer in the larger a/c. B733 was stirring the pot; B767 more gentle inputs. How is it from A319 - A330/340/even 380. I suspect the large super whale might treat mother nature with some disdain, or is it still a handful? It will be interesting to hear, after many years of line experience, just how the revolution has succeeded, or not. In the early days of AB FBW, on Prune, there was an ongoing debate of the B757 v A320. There were definitely 2 camps. How now?