PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 09:35
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ten year ago btw PIK was doing well, the last rave was.....over two decades ago.
Sorry, Skip, PIK has never 'done well'. Good friend of mine was the first MD, to try and bring it back. He them moved on when it was sold to Infritil. It was always a story of difficulty. Not sure about the national asset aspect. National assets are generally things of interest and importance, that the public can go and view and learn from. Not sure that PIK falls into that category. I spent my youth plane spotting there, the halcyon days of Seaboard DC8, BOAC 707, Trans National DC8 etc etc. But, all those types have gone and been replaced by plastic planes, that do not require pilots..Prestwick remains as was. So again, what to do. Perhaps its future is NOT aviation, perhaps its future can be as something else, utilising the existing land and infrastructure, but one thing is certain, there will have to be some massive incentive, to any operator, for a niche cargo or military option to be viable. Massive ship breakers yard????