PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial flying and job prospects
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 05:54
Baikonour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Threads like this with people giving positive support to "go do it" does nothing more than part a fool from their money.
I don't think a single post in this thread has said that.

What I don't like is the way the industry has been run down and the gullible taken advantage off.
The problem is that what you are saying applies equally well to most if not all other industries today as well. Do you know how much interns get paid at banks or lawfirms and how many hours they work? Or, to stick with vocational jobs (which is what piloting could be seen as), look at teachers, nurses and charity workers.

There are very few (please tell me that I'm wrong and I'll swap across!) jobs/industries today where 'love for the subject' will guarantee you anything more than a reasonable go at it. Aviation is no different in that respect and, like I said above, at least it is a growing industry and overall relatively profitable. Like most places, if you are not only good at what you do, but can also show something 'else' to take your job above and beyond, there is a chance to shine.

Having said that, no one is disagreeing with you re. becoming a CAT tube driver. It does seem to have become a role where the 'else' bit is being bred out of the practitioners and they end up being boxed in and limited to what they can be used for. But whereas it is maybe not surprising that a young lad or lass with no other experience but youthful dreams makes the choice to limit themselves to such a job, what I am saying (as is Genghis, I believe) is that once you have some experience and some different perspectives, there are roles within aviation where you may be able to both get some flying as part of your job and benefit from your experience and have an interesting job and good lifestyle.

You may call that 'playing pilot', but that does sound a little bit like sour grapes and snobbery from a grumpy old man and devalues your posts ...

B.