PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 02:22
Danny42C

Chugalug,

Reverting to the 8 (IAF) Sqn YouTube, here are some general comments which apply as far as 2.50 into the 6.14 of it.

1. What on Earth has this to do with an "Australian War Memorial FO 2561" ? The material has almost certainly come originally from Bharat Rakshak website: they have a lot about 8 Sqn in it.

2. Where and when was this taken ? There are no white faces, we "pressed men" from the four RAF Sqns don't appear anywhere. My guess is at their last station before we teamed up with them in Chaara, W. Bengal (24.8.43. in my log, although I didn't fly with them (non-op) until 29.11.43 - you'll recall that we were busy on the ground, settling-in, then compass-swinging and belting-up in that month).

It doesn't look anything like Peshawar (had the VV OTU even started up yet ?) Bt-Rk says they were at Paphamau (Allahabad), in Uttar Pradesh. This is approx 500 mi NE from Calcutta, and a further 400 mi NE to Delhi. I have never known such a huge open landing area as appears here, certainly not in W. or E. Bengal (now Bangladesh) or in Burma.

It is certainly all training in these first few minutes, the only bomb (500lb) looks funny (more later), some a/c have 250lb racks underwing but no bombs, (they would have been about 1,000 milles away from the action in any case). Nor are there any 11½ lb (training) bombracks.

The devil is in the detail ! Enough for now ! More soon.

Cheers, Danny.