PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which licence
Thread: Which licence
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2015, 19:54
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Genghis, I can honestly say that I am stunned to be expressing an opinion that is at odds with yours.

You know how much I value your input to this forum, based on your extensive experience of GA, but I must point out a little flaw in your last post.

There's no significant difference in the cost of maintaining an EASA PPL, NPPL or LAPL. If you are going with single engine light aircraft, they'll all cost about the same to obtain as well.
Actually there is a difference that amounts to a few hours flying each year for some people. A Pilot who gets and maintains an NPPL (like as what I does) can do so for the price of taking his, or her, GP for a jolly once every five years. Or pay the £25 for a signature. To get a Class2 Medical every year to support the PPL is going to cost more, a lot more.

Not to mention the cost of the original medical.

That was the thinking behind my decision in 2008 to go for the NPPL and I have stuck with it. Having done most of my flying from Leuchars and Cumbernauld, with trips to England & Wales along the way, the NPPL has been fine for me.

I did consider changing to the LAPL for a night rating a few years ago, but gave up on that when the CAA changed the rules and continued to accept the NPPL for a few more years yet. I remain hopeful that they might extend it again, and I can see how I might never need another licence to fly the DR400, C182 and PA28 in Scotland.

AP