PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 12th Aug 2015, 19:34
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh Doug,

El Centro ! Now my one visit to the place included a night stop March AFB as I recall, for "technical" reasons. Despite there being no indications of imminent failure of either primary or secondary hammock retention devices. I also managed to note that neither beer, food nor stripper quality had improved on the offerings that the Imperial valley had to offer. No doubt one of my seniors and betters in the "front row" had decided that my life would be bettered by this visit. I only found out that we had gone there for "technical" reasons when I was asked why I had failed to submit an Eng Rep, for the diversion from planned itinerary. I denied any knowledge of geography and stated that one USAF base looks like any other, including USN bases. Though I did note the Blue Angels were conspicuous by their absence.

Meanwhile, on return I remember the seminal moment of the detachment when a Pathfinder Cpl had serious problems with his HALO when his main chute wrapped itself around him on deployment. I was stood next to one of the Falcs, who said "Smudge, look away now". I didn't, I couldn't and I watched the lad struggle to emerge from his tangle, cut away and deploy his reserve. The reserve went pop, he had one swing and hit the ground. A sprained ankle, he was back on Albert 2 days later. As a result of seeing that, I was even more convinced that Hammocks, not parachutes, were the way forward. And I'm still here, to justify that belief.

Smudge