PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial flying and job prospects
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2015, 17:34
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are you still doing it if it's that bad?
I have started to ask myself that very question........

What I do is work in aviation and enjoy it.
Working in aviation is not the same as being a commercial pilot for a living.....

I still enjoy aspects of working in aviation and still enjoy most of the flying. What I don't like is the way the industry has been run down and the gullible taken advantage off. Threads like this with people giving positive support to "go do it" does nothing more than part a fool from their money.

Like I said, give up your day job "in aviation" and actually have a go at being a full time pilot and then extoll its virtues. Tell us exactly how you walked into a job and how it pays the same or better than your current career.

You play at commercial aviation, a CRI allows you to play at being an Instructor with the syndicates etc you are involved with. Your CPL without an IR does nothing more than give you an opportunity to tell everyone you are a "commercial pilot" but the reality is that you are not employable in any useful sense in commercial aviation. So you are a highly qualified academic and aeronautical engineer earning a pretty good whack who dabbles in a bit of ego flattering "commercial flying". That does not give you the right to give advice to someone considering giving up a career to "follow the dream" and spend themselves into oblivion for a job thats most unlikely to ever appear.

You only have to look at the people on here over the 15 odd years we have been posting who have come and gone following the dream and very few of them actually made it. You know enough of them personally that gave up and went onto other jobs.

Its about time as an industry we started being honest with ourselves and each other about the nature of it rather than perpetuating the bull ****.